The Benefice

The Benefice of Lastingham consists of four parishes, who all share a vicar who lives in the Vicarage at Lastingham.  In all, the benefice has 5 churches.  In addition, we share some services with the Methodists in Hartoft. We were very sorry to learn of the closure of the Chapel in Appleton le Moors, with which we also shared some services.

In the neighbouring village of Hutton le Hole, there is a Chapel of Ease to St Mary’s Lastingham.  Built in 1934 on the site of the former Zion Chapel, this church is dedicated to St Chad, one of the four brothers who founded the monastery here in Lastingham in AD 654.

The other sister churches in the Benefice are:

Christ Church, Appleton-le-Moors

St Gregory, Cropton

St Mary & St Lawrence, Rosedale Abbey

 


Page last updated: 16th April 2021 11:50 AM